Thursday, March 01, 2012

Tuskegee Airmen at the Plumas National Forest

On February 29th, we were honored at the Plumas NF to host a group of the original Tuskegee Airmen.  Edith Roberts also attended and spoke.  She is the widow of the first African American accepted for U.S. Army pilot training, Colonel George "Spanky" Roberts.  He later commanded the 99th Fighter Squadron and the 33rd Fighter Group.  It was a treat to listen to all that these veterans had to share, their experiences with discrimination, and the pride we all feel at what they endured.  They arrived in a snow storm and managed to participate in 4 events to share their stories with our community.  I am glad I got to meet them and share some pictures of these living legends.


Leonard Yates

Mr Yates signing autographs

Earl Ford-Forest Supervisor greeting our guests at a breakfast

The group gathers, including James Coleman, George Porter, Edith Roberts, and Walter Suggs










Lunch at the Vets Hall

Our trusty crew of servers







Airborne Division guest
 I only got to attend 2 of the 4 events, but you can see the newest release of Red Tails at your local theaters, and there are several other films and books available too!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I spoke with a couple who saw these fine people at FRC, and their joy and pride filled the room as they related the experience to me. I had a little weep of joy after they left. I wish I'd been there to hear and learn, too.
thankyou for sharing this.
isn't Quincy fortunate to have had these heroes?

sara said...

Yes indeed we are Dorothy! Thanks for your enthusiasm. I was told by a coworker that I walked around grinning while these visitors were here! LOL!